Monday, June 16, 2008

Tony Madness


So its been rather busy around here, I just began interning with SPF, but I did catch the Tony Awards, and would hardly call it a catch. The performances were bland and the overall production seemed ill-fitted and lame. In the Heights looks like the only good, new, show. I'm sorry but old men rocking out (as in Passing Strange) is not worth $100. That being said, there are some cool new things on the horizon. Although I all am for originality, I think Saved and Catch Me If You Can will be hits. Saved, based on the film starring Jena Malone and Mandy Moore, is playing now at Playwrights Horizon and, hopefully, will transfer after its run for a fall opening on Broadway. Catch Me If You Can is based on the film starring Tom Hanks, is being put up by the best in the Biz. Marc Shaiman is writing it and directed by Jerry Mitchell. This year was boring for me. I adore South Pacific, and the fact that, that show won out, is sad. Unfortunately I'm looking toward next season for a small salvation. Although I think it takes a lot to put up a show, and mad props, but Xanadu... come on now!

No comments: